How to Get Rid of Dark Armpits
Upset about your darkened underarms? You’re not alone there are plenty of women who won’t wear sleeveless or tank tops due to the dark armpits. Darkening of the armpits does not form suddenly its a gradual process that happens overtime. Usually there are a few common causes that are associated with dark underarms. For some it may come from health issues that will lead to underarm skin darkening. It very important to understand the causes and the symptoms in order to prevent. There are few simple home remedies that one can use in order to keep the underarm areas light and even toned as the rest of the body.
Causes Of Underarm Skin Darkening
The first step would be to find out how the skin pigmentation works.
- Exposure to sunlight for a prolonged period of time. That can only darken the skin. Everyone is liable to witness a change in their skin color as the ultraviolet rays strike the exposed skin. The special cells such as the melanocytes are known to produce a brown colored pigment. This pigment is known to protect the skin from the UV light. Thus, the skin produces more melanin when it is exposed to the sun for a long time.
- Hyperpigmentation is a skin condition that is excessive darkening of the skin. It is a symptom of a disease known as the Addison’s disease. This is a disorder that comes on when the adrenal glands fail to produce certain hormones of required levels
- Hormonal changes occur in the body during pregnancy and that in turn leads to changed production of melanin. Thus, one may see blotchy skin in different parts of the body including the underarms
- Usage of shavers and other cosmetic creams could also be the reason due to which the skin in the underarm areas starts to darken over time
Symptoms Of Underarm Skin Darkening
There are several symptoms that can act as telltale signs of the skin darkening in the armpit region over time:
• Constant exposure to bright sunlight
• Frequent use of razors
• Use of harsh deodorants on the skin
The skin will appear darker even when shaved. At such times, there needs to be taken certain precautions which will help to prevent further skin darkening of the armpits as well as help reduce or reverse the dark patches on the skin in such sensitive areas.
Potatoes have mild acidic property which has a great natural bleaching agent. Unlike strong bleaching agents, it will not cause skin irritation.
- Rub a thin slice of potato on your underarms.
- You can also grate the potato and apply the juice to the affected area, allow it to dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat this twice daily for better and faster results.
Just like potatoes, cucumbers also have natural bleaching properties that will help lighten discolored skin.
- Rub a thin cucumber slice on your underarms or grate a cucumber and apply the juice under your arms. Do this once or twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Another option is to extract the juice from a cucumber and mix it with a little turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Repeat this home remedy once daily or every other day for best results.
Lemon works as a natural bleach and a powerful antibacterial and antiseptic agent. This is why lemon is used in the treatment of various skin-related problems including dark underarms. Lemon can dry out your skin, so apply a moisturizer after using these remedies if needed.
- To remove dead skin cells and lighten your underarms, rub a lemon wedge on the skin for a few minutes. Leave the juice on your skin for about 10 minutes and then wash the area thoroughly. For better exfoliation, you can sprinkle a little sugar on the lemon wedge and then use it. Do this a few times a week.
- Another option is to mix a little turmeric powder, honey or plain yogurt in some lemon juice and apply it to your underarms. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then wash it off. Repeat three or four times a week.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used to make an exfoliating scrub to get rid of dark underarms. This will help remove dead skin cells, which is one of the main causes of dark underarms. It will also help unclog skin pores.
- Mix baking soda and water to make a thick paste.
- Use this paste to scrub your underarms.
- Wash it off and pat dry the area thoroughly.
- Repeat a few times a week.
You can also apply a light dusting of equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch to neutralize body odor.
5. Orange Peel
Orange peels can be used to lighten the skin under your arms, thanks to their skin lightening and exfoliating properties.
- Put some orange peels in the sun for a few days until they dry out completely.
- Grind the dried peels into powder form.
- Mix two teaspoons of powdered orange peels with enough rose water and milk to make a thick paste.
- Gently scrub your underarms with the paste and then leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, wash the area with cold water.
- Repeat the process two or three times a week.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another good option to get rid of dark underarms. Coconut oil contains vitamin E that can help lighten the underarms. At the same time, it will also work as an effective natural deodorant.
- Massage the dark underarms with coconut oil.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily until you achieve the desired results.
The vitamins and fatty acids present in milk can help minimize underarm darkening. It will soften the skin and make the skin tone much lighter.
- Mix two tablespoons of full fat milk, one tablespoon flour and one teaspoon of pain yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on your underarms and leave it on for about 15 minutes before wash it off with cold water. Repeat a few times a week on a regular basis.
- Another option is to soak a couple of strands of saffron in two teaspoons of milk for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also add a little honey. Apply the mixture on your underarms and leave it on for at least 20 to 30 minutes before washing it off. Follow this remedy daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Vinegar can also come to your rescue when you wish to get rid of your dark underarms. This remedy will not only lighten the skin color, but will also kill germs and bacteria that feed on dead skin cells causing underarm odor.
- Mix rice flour with vinegar to form a thick paste.
- Take a hot shower and then apply this paste on your underarms.
- Allow the paste to dry for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat a few times a week.
Sandalwood is another useful ingredient for getting rid of dark underarms due to its skin-lightening properties. Using rose water to make a paste will add a cooling and softening effect on the skin. The fragrance of sandalwood will also help get rid of body odor due to excessive sweating.
- Mix two tablespoons of sandalwood powder and sufficient rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your underarms.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes or until it dries, and then wash it off with cold water.
- When repeated daily, this remedy will lighten the skin tone of your underarms within a few days.
10. Gram Flour
Another great ingredient to get rid of dark underarms is gram flour, also known as besan. You can use gram flour to make a homemade whitening pack.
- Mix together two tablespoons of gram flour, one teaspoon each of plain yogurt and lemon juice, and a little turmeric powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your underarms.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Follow this remedy daily for two weeks. Then repeat three times a week until you get the desired results.
Follow these remedies as needed to get rid of dark underarms and enjoy soft, smooth and lighter skin.